Sunday, May 9, 2010

Farmers' Market Visit


On May 2nd of this year, my family and I visited a Farmers' Market that sets up on Sundays in Point Loma. I interviewed a couple that was selling spices:




Q: What is your name and your role here at the farmers' market?
A: My name's Jan, and I sell seasonings here.

Q: Why do you choose to support/sell at this farmers' market?
A: Well, this is our business, it's how we make money, and this way, we get the spices to a direct target, instead of having a middleman.

Q: When did you first start coming here [to this farmers' market]?
A: We started coming here around 2 years ago.

Q: What would be your advice to get others to do what you do?
A: Take a chance, follow your dream. It's kinda cheesy, but that's my advice.


Here's some reflective questions that I am also answering:

Q: What struck you about the location you visited? Was it what you expected, or very different?
A: Well, I thought it was pretty cool how there were so many stalls that sold so many different things. Most of them had samples, so you could see whether you wanted the product or not. The only thing that I hadn't thought would happen was the place being outside. I was thinking of different stalls, but inside a building.

Q: Which items were cheaper than you expected? Which were more expensive?
A: There weren't any items that were more expensive than I'd anticipated, but I thought that my family got a really nice deal on the jam that we bought. It was only five dollars a jar, and it tasted WAY better than the stuff you buy from Albertsons or Vons.

Q: Do you think you will start going to a farmers market more often? Or using a community garden? Or supporting a CSA?
A: I think that we've found one that's really close to our house, and it opens on Fridays, which means we could pick up stuff on the way home from school. If the stuff at that farmers market was as good as the stuff at the Point Loma farmers market, then I DEFINITELY want to support it.

Q: How do these locations fit into our essential questions of "Why Don't People Live More Sustainably?" and "How Can I Convince Them To Do So?"
A: Farmers markets may be farther away, and they might be more expensive than your local Albertsons, but they are definitely worth the price and the walk, because they taste better, last longer (sometimes), and they are definitely better for your health. (I just made a thesis with a concessive :D)

4 comments:

  1. I like how the person who you interviewed was there for such a long time. It means they really care about doing the right thing. I also like how she says there's no "middle-man" so you know she's a farmer who gets her seasons right to the farmers market without selling them to someone else. What made me think was if there was one close to your house and you could go to it every friday,it would be a great way to help out the small farmers. I also thought it was awesome that the jam you got was significantly better then the jam at Albertsons or Vons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jovan I really liked the fact that you liked the jam and how you would shop there more often.

    jovon when you were taking about how Jan has been seling jam for two years it really made me think how serious people are.

    I think u chosen a good person to interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jovan
    1- I liked how descriptive you were with your questions and reflective questions I don’t think many people put in the effort you did, good job.

    2- When you asked the question and I quote “Why do you choose to support/sell at this farmers' market” I was very interested to hear what she had to say because it is a very good question.
    3- Did you enjoy yourself at the farmers market or did you just go to get it over with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly what I liked was the cheesy line your interviewee used. Mostly because cheesy lines seem to have the most profoundly simple meaning behind all the corniness of it. What stood out to me is that you essentially said the one you went to was a fairly large one which is a sharp contrast to the one I went to. The one I was at was absolutely tiny.

    ReplyDelete